The American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education recently posted an article titled Redefining Teachers with a 21st Century Education “Story”. The article starts with the bad news about education but ends with an inspirational tone.
Here are my favorite quotes from the article:
- The world’s top performing organizations achieve their goals by…This does not describe education in the U.S.
- Add in the historically confusing role of teachers themselves…today as under-empowered participants in a stagnant system designed to broadcast standardized information
- If you’re a teacher, you have placed yourself in the most enviable, challenging, fulfilling role possible in the 21st century…Nothing—nothing—really prepares you for this role.
- The concerns of teachers everywhere have converged, and every forward-focused teacher can be not just a local teacher, but part of connected network of educators trying to rally the world on behalf of youth.
- ‘Smart’ these days includes grit, resiliency, empathy, curiosity, openness, creativity, and evaluative thinking. Figuring out how to teach, instill, or elicit these strengths in children as they move through school is the most acute challenge education has ever faced.
- Live the collaborative reality
I hope you can take some time to read the article for yourself.